tiistai 19. tammikuuta 2016

How Did I Become an Early Returned Missionary? My Story in 8 Steps


Step 1Missionaries are so cool
When I was "little", I always admired missionaries with nametags and wanted to be like them. I wanted to go to a different country and tell the people about the gospel and all the joy it can bring.

Step 2: The change in the age limit
I was one of those teenage girls who screamed when they heard that church made the change in the missionary service age. I decidedthat I'm going to go on a mission after graduating from high school.

Step 3: Receiving an answer
When I was seventeen, I was not so sure about it anymore. It was a time when I first time thought about my future seriously and wanted to really know what to do with my life. I wanted to know for sure if I should serve a mission and received an answer. Since that, I have known without a doubt that I want to serve a fulltime mission.

Step 4: Wearing a nametag for the first time
When I was eighteen, I served a mini mission in Finalnd in a city called Vaasa. Even though it was only one week experience, it still is the best week of my life and I wish my real mission would have been more like that. I learned so much about being a missionary and loved my companions Sisar P and Sisar B.

Step 5 - My mission call
When I was nineteen, I received my mission call. "Dear Sister Koivisto. You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Spain Madrid Mission". That was the happiest day of my life.

Step 6: MTC
I stepped on the plane August 18, 2015. The first 6 weeks I spent at the Spain MTC in Madrid. I made friends and learned from the wonderful examples of the other missionaries. I learned how to speak Spanish.

Step 7: My mission in the Canary Islands and Madrid
After the MTC, I left half of my luggage and took a plane to the Canary Islands. My first 6 weeks I served in Santa Cruz de Tenerife with my wonderful trainer Hermana M who taught me a lot by her wonderful example of a dedicated missionary. I fell in love with the beautiful island of Tenerife and the friendly people there. Then I was transfered to Villalba, which is a little village close to Madrid. I made close friends and had fun with Hermana S, who was my companion there.

Step 8: Returning home
After 4 weeks in Villalba I made the difficult decision between staying on a mission or returning home when the both options were difficult. I don't like to talk too much about what happened, all you should know is that I had problems with my health that made the mission really hard for me. I returned home December 7, 2015. It was not easy, but I have trust in God and that He knows where I need to be right now.

I'm not wearing a nametag anymore, but mission has been always close to my heart. I have almost 30 friends on a mission right now that I e-mail every week, because I understand how HARD is it to be a missionary and I want to support missionaries in every possible way. I look up to those young men and women who talk about their mission with the light in their eyes.

I have always been a writer and I've had so many blogs that I've lost the track. This time I want to write a blog to support missionaries in different kind of situations, especially those who have returned home early or are struggling in any other way.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti